Our Museum Network
The Soprintendenza is a museum network that operates from the National Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art and coordinates four other museums: the Mario Prez Museum House, the Boncompagni Ludovisi Museum for the decorative arts, costumes, and fashion, the Manzù Collection, and the Hendrik Christian Andersen Museum. Created in 1939, in 1975, along with the institution of the Ministry of Cultural and Environmental Patrimony, the Soprintendenza gained special competence and responsibilty.
At that same time a series of donations jump-started the acquisitions of the buildings and works of Andrea Blanceflor Boncompagni Ludovisi (1972), of the sculptor Hendrik C. Andersen, of Giacomo Manzù (1979), and from the collection and archive of Mario Praz (1986).
After the direction of Roberto Papini from 1934 to 1939, the year in which the Gallery became the museum network superintendent (Soprintendenza), and after the direction of Palma Bucarelli, which lasted almost thirty years, the directors from 1975 to the present have been: Italo Faldi, Giorgio De Marchis, Dario Durbé, Eraldo Gaudioso, Augusta Monferini, Sandra Pinto, and today Maria Vittoria Marini Clarelli.
The Soprintendenza articulates its functions in general services, with each office divided into smaller subsections. These services, designated as technical or administrative, correspond to the principle functions of protection and conservation, to the augmentation, management, and documentation of museum property, to studies and research, and to those matters of general and personal administrative management. They are part of the service that the Office of Exhibitions and the Service for cultural communication, which absorbs information technology, didactics, and museum communication.
The direction of the National Gallery of Modern Art is subdivided into the 19th and 20th centuries, with the responsibility for these areas resting with the historic curators of art.