Gallery's has existed since the founding of the Museum at its location in Valle Giulia (1915), when it conserved a nucleus of 2500 to 3000 volumes. Today's library material includes about 70,000 volumes, around 1500 periodicals (some current, some suspended) and a precious collection of about 40,000 miscellaneous papers and pamphlets. Beginning as an institutional library, it has become a place of study accessible to outside specialists as well. Today the National Gallery of Modern Art's library, along with the Historic Archive of the Venice Biennale, conserves the largest Italian patrimony documenting contemporary art.
The library building, functional and airy, was designed by the architect Costantino Dardi at the end of the 1980's. The reading hall is currently being shared with the Hertziana Library whose center is under renovation. For this reason space for scholars to study has been temporarily reduced.
The library has the following paper catalogues:
1. Catalogue for Author/Title;
2. Catalogue for subject;
3. Catalogue for exhibitions in topographical order;
4. Catalogue for periodicals;
5. Topographical catalogue.
The library has been part of the SBN system of the University of Rome "La Sapienza" since 1998. Since that date new acquisitions are catalogued digitally and the catalogue may be consulted on-line and through terminals available in the reading room.
The library is accessible with an admission card dispensed to scholars and students of the University and the Academies of the Arts.
Reservations are required and may be made by telephone at (0039) 06 322 98246 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.